The Ultimate 'Cost Of Living' Thread

Jackinabox

Not sure where this should be posted?

What are your MONTHLY living expenses?

I know that we are all different and have lifestyles that range from Steptoe & Son to Lord of the Manner and that a search on the forum will come up with plenty of results but hopefully this will grow and grow and may be of use to some today and to those who register in time to come. I have probably missed off some expenses so feel free to add them too. Please add what you feel comfortable with adding and if applicable. I was going to ask for salaries etc but that is probably too personal. So please spare some of your valuable time to help compile this info. Perhaps it will get itself to Sticky status. This may also aid those already spending to determine if they can make some changes themselves. Thanks in advance.

State: Location:

Property type: Beds

Household:Adults Children

Rent: $ Mortgage: $

Annual Rates: $

Electricity: $ Pool: Y or N Air Con: Y or No

Gas: $

Water: Annual Charge $ Usage:$

Monthly Shopping/Food: $

Car Rego: $ S/M/L Vehicle?

Fuel Work $ Fuel Social: $

Home Phone: $

Mobile Phone: $ Total Mobiles in Household:

Internet: $

Schooling Costs: $

Child Care Costs: $

Entertaining/Lifestyle: $

Health insurance: $

House insurance: $

Car insurance: $

Additional: $

Profession:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

What rate are you using the current exchange rate, which means average wages in Australia are paid at 40% more, or

The average wage rate, which has gone up to at least $2.3 to $2.4 To ....... £1, or

The PIO $2.2 to £1 rate.

I love posting these figures, lol.

What rate are you using the current exchange rate, which means average wages in Australia are paid at 40% more, or

The average wage rate, which has gone up to at least $2.3 to $2.4 To ....... £1, or

The PIO $2.2 to £1 rate.

I love posting these figures, lol.

That is relevant Jim but I am primarily interested in what those in Australia are actually spending their hard earned cash on each month. Gives us wannabies an 'on the ground' insight into what it is costing today and will hopefully be a running thing. This of course will differ from person to person, state to state, location to location. Just waiting for them to wake up, get dressed, get to work and use the company PC during lunch time.

This was on the ABC News last night

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-16/life-getting-worse-for-nation27s-poor3a-salvos/4013564

Its all very well talking about average wage comparisons, if you've got a job.

The harsh reality is that the basic cost of living has become so expensive that many people cant afford to buy food or prescriptions, cant afford to see their doctor, cant afford heating (remember the threads about poor insulation and inefficient heating methods?).

Not all jobs are paid at 2.2 or 2.3 either, mine is about 1.7 allowing for being self employed.

Still too personal for me tbh - but good luck with it

Hopefully you'll just get actual spends/budgets in dollars rather than loads of noise about what that "equates" to - which is meaningless. Earnings in $, Spending in $, it's the only way you can work it out

Still too personal for me tbh - but good luck with it

Hopefully you'll just get actual spends/budgets in dollars rather than loads of noise about what that "equates" to - which is meaningless. Earnings in $, Spending in $, it's the only way you can work it out

No problem.

I will get the ball rolling then, answers in colour..

I know that we are all different and have lifestyles that range from Steptoe & Son to Lord of the Manner and that a search on the forum will come up with plenty of results but hopefully this will grow and grow and may be of use to some today and to those who register in time to come. I have probably missed off some expenses so feel free to add them too. Please add what you feel comfortable with adding and if applicable. I was going to ask for salaries etc but that is probably too personal. So please spare some of your valuable time to help compile this info. Perhaps it will get itself to Sticky status. Thanks in advance.

State: Location: Sydney

Property type: 3 bed house

Household:2 adults

Rent: $4kMortgage: $0

Annual Rates: $0

Electricity: $80 Pool:N Air Con: No

Gas: $20

Water: Annual Charge $0 Usage:$30

Monthly Shopping/Food: $???? no idea sorry, tent to shop in bits and bobs not a big weekly shop

Car Rego: $500?? S/M/L Vehicle?

Fuel Work $0 Fuel Social: $30

Home Phone: $0

Mobile Phone: $ 160 Total Mobiles in Household:2

Internet: $75

Schooling Costs: $0

Child Care Costs: $ 0

Entertaining/Lifestyle: $??? don't track it.

Health insurance: $180

House insurance: $70

Car insurance: $90

Travel to work: $300

Daily lunch / coffee at work:$560 (~$14 per person per day)

Profession:

This was on the ABC News last night

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-16/life-getting-worse-for-nation27s-poor3a-salvos/4013564

Its all very well talking about average wage comparisons, if you've got a job.

The harsh reality is that the basic cost of living has become so expensive that many people cant afford to buy food or prescriptions, cant afford to see their doctor, cant afford heating (remember the threads about poor insulation and inefficient heating methods?).

Not all jobs are paid at 2.2 or 2.3 either, mine is about 1.7 allowing for being self employed.

In preparation for this weekend's Red Shield Appeal, the organisation surveyed more than 1,700 people across Australia who had recently sought its help.

whilst i am not trying to argue against your point, there are clearly people suffering from the price increases in Australia, i cant help but feel that the survey this article is based on is a little skewed in its bias, only engaging those who have gone to the salvos for help. there is no balance nor participation from a wide ranging demographic for its message to be completely valid.

whilst i am not trying to argue against your point, there are clearly people suffering from the price increases in Australia, i cant help but feel that the survey this article is based on is a little skewed in its bias, only engaging those who have gone to the salvos for help. there is no balance nor participation from a wide ranging demographic for its message to be completely valid.

And those seeking help will likely overstate their predicament in order to get what they can.

True but it does highlight a point, a point which many don't recognise, that many in aus cant even afford 3 meals a day, or see a doctor, or pay for prescriptions. Those are pretty basic needs which arent being met, cos everyday life is pretty expensive here.

And those seeking help will likely overstate their predicament in order to get what they can.

So they're lying then? It was a survey, not a wishlist

True but it does highlight a point, a point which many don't recognise, that many in aus cant even afford 3 meals a day, or see a doctor, or pay for prescriptions. Those are pretty basic needs which arent being met, cos everyday life is pretty expensive here.

that is an unfortunate reflection of the world we live in, be it third world or developed nations. The USA, largest economy in the world, so by default you could say the most developed nation, still has thase problems. prob worse.

Dosent make it right but its a fact of life and all we can do is try our hardest to make sure we are not left behind in that bracket. the only person who can effect a change in your life is yourself. get studying, get working and do what it takes to better yourself. some find it easy some find it tough, but nearly all find it rewarding.

Guest JK2510

I know that we are all different and have lifestyles that range from Steptoe & Son to Lord of the Manner and that a search on the forum will come up with plenty of results but hopefully this will grow and grow and may be of use to some today and to those who register in time to come. I have probably missed off some expenses so feel free to add them too. Please add what you feel comfortable with adding and if applicable. I was going to ask for salaries etc but that is probably too personal. So please spare some of your valuable time to help compile this info. Perhaps it will get itself to Sticky status. This may also aid those already spending to determine if they can make some changes themselves. Thanks in advance.

State: Location:

Property type: Beds 4x2

Household: 2 adults 3 kids

Rent: $ Mortgage: $ 1980

Annual Rates: $0

Electricity: $ Pool: Y or N Air Con: Yes

Gas: $50 pm

Water: Annual Charge $ Usage:$ 250 per year

Monthly Shopping/Food: $ 1000

Car Rego: $ S/M/L Vehicle? 4x4 $500ish per yr

Fuel Work $ Fuel Social: $300 per week(we have 2 cars but only pay for upkeep of one)

Home Phone: $30 pm

Mobile Phone: $ Total Mobiles in Household:4 mobiles....$140pm

Internet: $60 pm

Schooling Costs: $2500....all contributions and equipments/uniform.

Entertaining/Lifestyle: $foxtel 100pm other 200pm

Health insurance: $90 pm

Car insurance: $47pm

Additional: $900

Profession: a/c engineer and care assistant.

Not sure whether I have missed anything.....too early in am for this!

that is an unfortunate reflection of the world we live in, be it third world or developed nations. The USA, largest economy in the world, so by default you could say the most developed nation, still has thase problems. prob worse.

Dosent make it right but its a fact of life and all we can do is try our hardest to make sure we are not left behind in that bracket. the only person who can effect a change in your life is yourself. get studying, get working and do what it takes to better yourself. some find it easy some find it tough, but nearly all find it rewarding.

true, but a lot of migrants struggle to find work here, and cannot have access to welfare payments for 2 years, so some must come 'close' to this bracket if they don't have adequate savings.

to give some specific examples, WRT healthcare:

1. cost of a PBS prescription, per MONTH, capped at something like $33. If you're on a pension/healthcare card, that goes down to about $5. But imagine if you're elderly or have chronic conditions like diabetes, on 10 meds, not all of them PBS listed, the govt 'Safety Net' only kicks in once you've something like $1500 on prescriptions, after which they're free, til the next year.

2. cost of seeing a doctor. I think its a crime that Bulk Billing of pensioners and concession card holders and children isn't mandatory, but its at the Dr's discretion. Imagine if you've got 5 kids....

3. cost of dentistry. this is prohibitively expensive for many people. there is a medicare scheme for access to $4250 if you fit strict criteria, but many don't and can't afford even a simple check up

State: Location: Melbourne

Property type: 3 bed unit Beds

Household: 2 Adults 1 Children

Rent: $1517 Mortgage: $

Electricity: $100 Pool: n or Air Con: No

Gas: $50

Water: Annual Charge $500 Usage:$

Monthly Shopping/Food: $1000

Car Rego: $ S/M/L Vehicle?1200x2 per yr

Fuel Work $ Fuel Social: $150 wk

Home Phone: $228 per month includes internet and foxtel

Mobile Phone: $ Total Mobiles in Household:60 per month

Internet: $as above

Schooling Costs: $1500 per year

Entertaining/Lifestyle: $800 per month

Health insurance: $0

House insurance: $0

Car insurance: $150 per month

Additional: $scripts 50 per month doctors 180 per year

Profession: chippy

Hope this helps its about the basics you need each month to live on.

Was my response a definitive? I used the word "likely". Have you ever seen a queue outside a charity food hand out such as lifeline or salvos? I've worked on 'em................doing my level best not to be judgemental and failing in many cases..........fags in mouths, gold on fingers and necks, not forgetting the designer joggers....................not the majority, but enough to skew any so-called research.

Guest biomedical scientist

Hi we moved to Canberra in December so rents are higher then but if it helps this i what we are paying:

State: ACT Location: Canberra

Property type: Beds 4

Household:Adults 2 Children 1

Rent: $2400 pm Mortgage: $

Electricity: $ 250 per quarter Pool: N Air Con: No

Gas: $55 per quarter

Water: Annual Charge $ Usage:$ 70 per quarter

Monthly Shopping/Food: $1000 food only

Car Rego: $ 500 per yr (have to pay extra for first time though) /M/Vehicle?

Fuel Work $ 200 & social Fuel Social: $

Home Phone: $

Mobile Phone: $ 90 per month Total Mobiles in Household: 3 (recharge - had to pay for phones - couldn't get 3x contract phones initially)

Internet: $ 67 optus

Entertaining/Lifestyle: $

Health insurance: $ 300 - bupa + dental/optical family package

Car insurance: $34

Profession:

State: VIC

Property type: 2-bed townhouse

Household: 1

Rent: $1521

Annual Rates: $0 (paid by landlord)

Electricity: $ 180 per quarter (estimated to allow for season variation) Pool: N Air Con: Split system in lounge only, ceiling fans in bedrooms

Gas: $95 per quarter (of which $90 is services charges)

Water: Annual Charge $? (will be paid by landlord) Usage:$? (no bill yet) per quarter

Monthly Shopping/Food: $350 food only (including lunch at work but not eating out or alcohol)

Car Rego: $ 650 per yr (have to pay extra for first time though)1997 Subaru Impreza

Fuel Work $0 (public transport is $100/month) & Fuel Social: $50

Home Phone: $0

Mobile Phone: $ 19 per month

Total Mobiles in Household: 1

Internet: $88 Telstra 200GB allowances

Entertaining/Lifestyle: $400

Health insurance: $109 (HCF)

House insurance: $35

Car insurance: $52

Profession: Lecturer (but still living like a student in some respects!)

I posted a UK/Aus comparison by percentage of where my income goes over on one of the other threads about costs http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/149595-cost-comaprison-3.html#post1935817974 that may also be of interest.

State: QLD Location: Cairns

Property type: 3 bed house

Household: 2 Adults (and dog who thinks it’s human)

Mortgage: $20,700 per year / $1725 per month

Annual Rates: $3000 per year / $250 per month

Electricity: $1300 per year / $108 ish per month Pool: N Air Con: Y

Gas: N/A

Water: Annual Charge – Not sure if this applies here (I can’t see it mentioned on the two bills I have just found) Usage: $120 per year / $10 per month (no joke – last quarter the bill was $19.19, one before that was $31)

Monthly Shopping/Food: $7800 per year (around $650 per month, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less)

Car Rego: $1460 per year (two cars – SUV & a 4x4) (note: this has to be paid upfront for either 6 or 12 months, but equates to $122 ish per month)

Car insurance: $900 per year / $75 per month (two cars, fully comp)

Fuel - Can’t split between work and social I’m afraid as never broke it down. For info: SUV does around 400km on $85ish (2.4L petrol), 4x4 (3L Diesel) does around 600km on $110ish (both mixed driving).

Home Phone: N/A

Mobile Phone: $1320 per year / $110 per month Total Mobiles in Household: 2

Internet: $480 per year / $40 per month (we don’t have a fixed internet connection, just a dongle type thing from telstra (pay as you go) but to be honest , other than browsing, e-mailing, the odd skype chat and music download, we don’t hammer the net that much each month)

Schooling Costs: N/A

Child Care Costs: N/A

Entertaining/Lifestyle: $10400 per year / $200 per week (, sometimes more, but most weeks less)

Additional: $1440 per year / $120 per month private health insurance (good cover - wife only), $500 per year / $42ish per month pet insurance

Profession: N/A

That totals around $49380 per year / $4115 per month / $950ish per week (excluding fuel for cars, buying clothes, buying stuff for house etc and any loans that may need to be repaid)

Some good stuff coming through, thanks to those posting their numbers

It's very encouraging in my eyes and many thanks to those who have participated so far.

It can never be an exact science but it has to be more beneficial than 'you cant live here on less than $170,000'.

Thanks all and please keep them coming.

I work for a homeless charity in Melbourne and we're seeing an absolute explosion in the number of people coming through the door seeking assistance. Often the clients I interview have not eaten for days and are desperate for food vouchers and know every free food provider in the south of the city. What's striking is that many of our clients are not from the demographic usually associated with homelessness, they're 40 and 50 somethings who've worked all of their lives but who have had a run of bad luck which has seen them without a roof over their heads. In terms of provision for them it's pretty desperate. There are currently 38,000 people waiting on the Melbourne Office Of Housing waiting list to be housed, sometimes waiting close on 20 years to be found a property. In the interim all we can offer them are dangerous, bug-infested rooming houses which charge on average around $160 a week for a small room in a shared house. Often we're obliged to place clients who are new to homelessness in with clients who have chronic alcohol, drug or mental health problems. Every day I hear stories of clients being bashed, robbed or sexually assaulted by their house-mates whilst the property owners look the other way.

We get huge numbers of clients too who arrive in Melbourne from outlying areas like Gippsland and Yarraville chasing work and swelling the numbers of the homeless population. It doesn't get much media coverage, although The Age newspaper has recently ran a number of stories about how the Ballieu Government's cuts are making things worse. Right-wing government cutting public services, ring any bells with anyone in the UK?

Melbourne is a lovely city, in parts at least, but it's not that liveable for everyone, and their numbers are sadly growing.

I work for a homeless charity in Melbourne and we're seeing an absolute explosion in the number of people coming through the door seeking assistance. Often the clients I interview have not eaten for days and are desperate for food vouchers and know every free food provider in the south of the city. What's striking is that many of our clients are not from the demographic usually associated with homelessness, they're 40 and 50 somethings who've worked all of their lives but who have had a run of bad luck which has seen them without a roof over their heads. In terms of provision for them it's pretty desperate. There are currently 38,000 people waiting on the Melbourne Office Of Housing waiting list to be housed, sometimes waiting close on 20 years to be found a property. In the interim all we can offer them are dangerous, bug-infested rooming houses which charge on average around $160 a week for a small room in a shared house. Often we're obliged to place clients who are new to homelessness in with clients who have chronic alcohol, drug or mental health problems. Every day I hear stories of clients being bashed, robbed or sexually assaulted by their house-mates whilst the property owners look the other way.

We get huge numbers of clients too who arrive in Melbourne from outlying areas like Gippsland and Yarraville chasing work and swelling the numbers of the homeless population. It doesn't get much media coverage, although The Age newspaper has recently ran a number of stories about how the Ballieu Government's cuts are making things worse. Right-wing government cutting public services, ring any bells with anyone in the UK?

Melbourne is a lovely city, in parts at least, but it's not that liveable for everyone, and their numbers are sadly growing.

That seems to tally with the Salvo's report.

I don't think the 'safety net' here is as generous to people struggling with poverty. People complain about there being too many welfare scroungers in the UK but what you've seen in Melbourne is likely to be the downside of more draconian policies re welfare provision, especially when combined with a spiralling cost of living.

Expect things to get even worse with the introduction of the Carbon Tax.

State: QLD Location: Chermside

Property type: 2 Beds house

Household:Adults 2 Children 0

Rent: $1900 Mortgage: $

Annual Rates: $nil

Electricity: $50 Pool: N Air Con: Y

Gas: $45

Water: Annual Charge $ Usage:$no idea

Monthly Shopping/Food: $500 food - clothes etc varies hugely! Couple hundred a month?

Car Rego: $N/A S/M/L Vehicle? Ute

Fuel Work $ Fuel Social: $0 - all paid by employer!

Home Phone: $10

Mobile Phone: $60 Total Mobiles in Household: 2

Internet: $60

Child Care Costs: $0

Entertaining/Lifestyle: $600 (well that's what I put on my meal card, and we use it all up!)

House insurance: $10

Car insurance: $0 (paid for by employer)

Additional: $100 or so on my bus card depending how many free lifts I get to work! $200 beer/wine/rum from Dannos! $10 ave doctor/meds $27 haircut for me (hubby uses clippers so free!) - all remaining dosh goes in savings for holiday/monthly £££ to UK mortgage

Profession: Engineering geologist and data analyst

State: NSW Location: Sydney (Sutherland Shire)

Property type: 5 bed house

Household:Adults 2 Children 2

Rent: $0 Mortgage: $1600pm (relatively small mortgage, for Sydney anyway)

Annual Rates: $1900 approx.

Electricity: $120pm Pool: Y Air Con: Y but rarely used. These electricity figures are based on 2010-2011 usage, we had solar panels fitted almost 12 months ago and the electricity company can't get their act together and send us a bill, so we have no idea of what our electricity costs are for the past year.

Gas: $0 - no gas in suburb.

Water: About $300 per qtr so about $100 per month.

Monthly Shopping/Food: $1000-$1200 per month including cat meat and litter, toiletries, food and alcohol. Usually less, sometimes more.

Car Rego: Approx $500 per year per car (we have 2) Vehicle? Ford Territory and Holden Commodore

Fuel: Hubby uses a tank (Commodore) every 10 days cost $100 per tank. I use a tank every 2 weeks (Ford) for to and from school/pre-school, shopping and we use my car at weekends etc for days out and holidays.

Home Phone: $140 per month including internet which is in part paid by my business.

Mobile Phone: $60 Total Mobiles in Household: 2

Internet: See above

Schooling Costs: Was $4500 per year + contributions when on 457. Now have PR so we just pay about $200 per year voluntary contributions + books + uniform + excursions etc. Probably all up about $600 per year.

Child Care Costs: $83 per day, three days per week so about $1000 per month. We should now start to get some help with this.

Entertaining/Lifestyle: $60. We don't really go out for dinner/drinks, more likely to have picnics or go to friends (or they come to us), most of that will be spent on hiring the odd DVD or books for Matts kindle. We do lots of free stuff, and maybe take the girls to the zoo/aquarium for their birthdays and so on. We do go on holidays and tend to save up and rent somewhere nice that we can drive to. We have two weeks away usually (one in summer, one in autumn/winter) and the odd weekend away somewhere closer.

House insurance: House and contents comes in at about $1900 for the year I think.

Car insurance: about $900 per year for each car so $1800. This confuses me because it gets more and more every year, although neither of us have ever made a claim.

Additional: Probably spend a couple of hundred dollars per month on clothes/shoes for the girls, I like to buy them books, we also pay for things like swimming lessons which are about $140 per child per term (so $1200 about per year).

We are in a slightly unusual position in that we have a relatively low income for the first five years of being here (fixed in hubbys contract) so our outgoings are more than our income. We always planned to use our savings/proceeds of house and business sale to pay for things like insurances, to put a big deposit down on a house and to buy cars outright etc to get us through the difficult part until Matt starts bringing home bonuses (which should be soon I hope).

Archived